“How is the experience of calling your product/service as Ordinary/Extra-Ordinary? What is the experience of first time users of your product? How to create a delightful experience from your product/service? Should we make a product to make everything better, resulting in unfocused features, that few customers can afford? Or, should we focus on one or two features/essential elements in a product ?”
Design based Business Strategy is to apply “User-Centered-Design” principles to solve a wicked problem, inspire customer experience, create unique stance for your product, provide emotional value proposition for the user and list out the broad steps to be taken to achieve the same. Based on research insights, we will translate those insights into a framework for a design strategy.
To have uniform communication language among your customers, your team, your suppliers, making everyone to channel their energy, enthusiasm, ideas, labor in uni-direction, so that we can provide greater value to customer or create comparable value at lower cost or do both. Positioning is not obvious most of the time, but Research, Creativity and Insights will help us to achieve suitable positioning strategy. Following Research, Analysis and Insights, customer segment will be identified along with the needs to be served. Then, we will look at how we are going to serve, what kind of “FIT” we can have among company’s internal activities,what additional resources, partners needed, types of distribution channels, etc.., what kind of trade-offs and gains needed.
Desire to grow has perhaps the most unreasonable effect on strategy. We have heard companies going on acquisition spree for growth purposes, but ultimately resulted in shrinking profits. Sometimes, pursuing growth in wrong way can be worse than “No Growth”. Creating new-growth business is not a lottery ticket to be unpredictable and risky. The process for creating new business growth, if not well understood, will result in low success rate. User-Centered Research and Strategy will help in solving this problem. We believe in deepening(Penetration of user needs) a strategic position with target segment than broadening or compromising it.
While research and designing, we focus more on user, circumstances and not on competitors. But this research will help in Competitive Strategy analysis. We need this strategy to understand root cause of future profits, how the profit will vary over time, future threats to our business. For us to survive at-least a decade as a leader in our industry, we should be prepared and competitor analysis will help. Some of the analysis we offer based on User Research
- Threats of entry
- Barriers of Entry
- Demand size benefits of scale
- Customer’s switching costs and ways to increase the same(Cost can be in terms of effort, time etc..)
- “What if” scenarios to determine future scenarios
- Impact in distribution channels, resources, suppliers, supply side economics, Capital requirements etc..
Disruptive Strategy doesn’t attempt to bring better products to established customers in existing market, but disrupt the market, by introducing new product for a new market. This new market will start drawing people from existing market in sometime. This strategy can be useful for innovators, startup or emerging companies to disrupt the market, take on the leader without fighting with them. These new products may appeal to new or less demanding customers, but slowly grow to meet needs of demanding customers. Here the strategies are not deliberate in initial stage, but iterative, step by step strategies to gain foothold in the market.
USER CENTERED DESIGN STRATEGY – BENEFITS
- Delight your customers than merely satisfy your customers
- Provide leapfrog innovations than incremental innovations in your product
- Help you achieve huge sales, higher profit margin
- Reduce marketing efforts, Ad spend
- Hard to copy, imitate by any competitors
- Motivated employees, better control over your people and resources
- Shared language & understanding of common goals among every stake holder
- Increased Brand equity
- Build an innovate culture within your company
- Avoid wasting money & time in ideas that fail in market
- Save time in debating ideas by facts over opinions
- Leverage experience & skills of your team, existing assets
- Emotionally connected brand
- Viral-Market the product through customer
- Quick turnaround time for idea to market